Monday 8 June 2009

Woohoo, at last!

I've been trying to get The Runner to clear out his manky running stuff for several years now. Today, on a rare holiday, he decided he wanted to get his possible race gear in some sort of order. Naturally I offered to 'help' him with my roll of black bags in hand.

This is the resulting pile of t-shirts that made it into my throwing out pile. At last I was able to get rid of that t-shirt from the Dublin Marathon in 1997 that is older than No3 son! There are a few London marathon t-shirts in there, as well as some Troon 10k ones that are falling apart at the seams. I guess they don't hold the same sentiments for him any more now he's an ultra runner.

This is the keeping pile (which frankly would have been a lot smaller if I'd had my way but hey, I'll take the disposal of the manky t-shirts as consolation!)
-
His pile of keeping stuff consists of:
7 Tracksters (no pockets)
3 Tracksters (with pockets)
-
1 waterproof jacket
1 waterproof trousers
-
6 adventure tops (ie tops which are not Helly, summer tops or long sleeved)
2 waterproof jackets (that are the size of a tennis ball when folded into their pouch)
1 windproof vest (ditto)
-
8 summer tops
3 long sleeved summer tops
-
4 long sleeved Hellys
3 short sleeved Hellys
2 Icebreakers
-
9 vests (including 1 Strathearn Harriers, 1 Central and 1 Troon Tortoises)
2 pairs Skins (shorts)
2 pairs cycling shorts
3 pairs shorts
-
6 Buffs
1 pair running gloves
2 woolly hats
1 high visibility vest and.................
-
only 30 t-shirts! Woohoo!!
-
One thing that did surprise me was the level of crumpledness of most of his stuff. I wash it, iron it and fold it so I know it looks good before he puts it away. No idea what happens to it between then and him wearing it. If you ever notice he's a bit crumpled looking, ask him how he manages it!

6 comments:

Tim said...

Thanks for posting this Ally. Next time Muriel complains about how much running stuff I have I'll show her this message. ;-)

Debs M-C said...

It's all rock 'n' roll in the Beattie household.

Vacupak is a brilliant invention. Or just throw stuff out when they're not looking (that's what I do). If they don't need it, they won't notice. Marco would keep all his old trainers if I didn't. I'm going to be in trouble when he reads this...

Subversive Runner said...

Naughty girl, Debs!!! Ali, you the gal....come and sort my gear out please....then my garden....then my house....then maybe back in the garden...for a bit...???

Marco Consani said...

What the heck!!! Thank God I read this. So thats where my trainers that I ran my first half marathon have gone. Actually compared to Ian I have a distinct lack of any running gear taking up only one shelf in the wardrobe. Either it is because Ian has been running a lot longer than me or Debbie is very efficient at throwing all my stuff out.
See you very soon Ali.

Marco

allybea said...

Don't get me started on his shoes! Or his socks or his pants....

Keith Hughes said...

You are a cruel cruel woman.. Why don't you just emasculate the poor bloke whilst you are there.. A t-shirt older than number 3 son - I am sure for our beloved one this reminds him of the time he was only 2/3's as happy as he is now.. Leave it all be... :-)