Friday 19 June 2009

Race Day!

Well, here we are. It's the big day and I think we're ready.

The alarm woke me at 7am. My first thought was "That's the last sleep I'll be getting until Fort William tomorrow night." If I'm lucky I might catch a few winks somewhere but it doesn't usually happen. The Runner planned to sleep until about lunchtime but he appeared at 10am declaring he was too hungry to sleep!

The kitchen table is groaning with beans, rice, sports drinks, flat Coke, banana loaf, gels, power bars, flasks, water and jelly babies. There are piles of running kit everywhere (I managed to get it dried despite the continuous rain!) The cool bags are lined up ready to accept Magic soup, pasta salads, smoothies etc. I have lists everywhere, ready to be checked off.

This year's target time? We don't have one. Or a list of ETAs for each checkpoint. The aim is to get to Fort William in one piece. This year time doesn't matter. The Runner wants to enjoy the race and the time will take care of itself.

It is my heartfelt wish that everyone who starts the race makes it safely to Fort William. Dig deep and remember the challenge is against yourself. Not the clock or your best mate.

To roughly quote The Runner "The pain of not finishing is much worse than the pain of not beating a PB."

Good luck and see you all tonight.

Ali x

No comments: