Sunday 1 June 2008

My dear Pastor

I received a letter from a worried reader.

Dear Agony Aunt,

What advice can you give to me to help me through the next three weeks? I won't be running as much as I'm tapering so what do you suggest I do to while away the time?

Thanks in anticipation

The Pastor


My dear Pastor,

This is a problem familiar to many Ultra Runners. Running takes up so much of their time they have no other relaxing hobbies to get them through the cold turkey stage that is tapering. I've found that related activities like surfing the internet for information and talking to fellow runners on forums increases anxiety levels to a point where you think you won't make it to the start. It's advisable to look for an unrelated relaxing activity to fill your time.

A personal favourite of my own is knitting which has been proved by Harvard research to be "as effective as meditation, yoga or chanting in triggering the body's relaxation response.....the repetitive motions block the hormone noradrenaline, which in turn lowers blood pressure."

I'd also recommend a little light gardening (no double digging a vegetable plot!) or perhaps some housework. Activities like these will help keep you active and have the added bonus of pleasing a partner especially one who is your Support Team Leader.

In the grand scheme of things a 3 week taper is a very small price to pay. The aim of the game is get to the start of the race fit and healthy. All the hard work of the previous months is stored in your legs and more importantly in your head.

Good luck with the next 3 weeks

Love

Agony Aunt

No comments: