Monday 16 June 2008

Be Nice to Your Backup Week

It goes without saying that the runners are finding this final week before the big day hard going. Well, the big news guys (and gals) is that it's not much fun for your backup either! Especially if they live with you!!

This is the week where we have to listen to you worry about every single thing that could be a potential disaster. Dodgy tummies, runny noses and groin strains don't usually stop you going on a training run or running a marathon. So why does a sniffle from your youngest child or fellow passenger on the train send you into a frenzy? Why does something written on a forum or seen in a magazine article make you doubt your last few weeks training/tapering plans?

Those of us who've been involved in providing backup before pretty much know what we're doing. You don't really need to ask us if we've got midgie nets or tell us to get petrol now just in case there's none left by Friday. It's all in hand.

Here the lists are prepared so I won't forget anything. My week is planned so that I have plenty of time to get the provisions and fill up with petrol. Just relax! Be nice to your backup.

Only 4 more sleeps to go!

2 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

I'm always nice to my back up, Allybea. Have you seen them? Not the sort of people you'd want as enemies!!! Good luck to you and Ian. Looking forward to seeing you on Friday.

Debs M-C said...

Whilst reading this, Marco turned and said "Alison does the shopping AND the organising for Ian". I had to gently remind him that I'm not on his support team. I'm running too. I know, I'm a bad wife ;-)