Monday 23 June 2008

Post mortem

Well, this is not the post I thought I would be writing today. Unfortunately The Runner had to drop out of the race at Rowardennan, just 27 miles in. Since then we've been going over and over what happened until I can't think straight any more. Here's how it looked from my perspective.

We arrived at Milngavie just after 11.30pm. The car park was almost full. As usual the place was buzzing with activity and there was a definite air of excitement. We met up with old friends and sought out new ones made through the world of blogging. The Runner seemed to be ok before he went off to the pre-race briefing. However, when he returned he was a bit agitated that there wasn't enough time left to do everything he needed to do. He started to fuss about what was in his bumbag, which had already been double checked at home. He was complaining about needing the toilet again, which is normal for him at the start of this race. But with hindsight, the early signs were there.

I think I managed to see everyone I knew and wished them luck before they started. Then before I knew it, they were off. What followed can only be described as Wacky Races as all the support crews tried to exit the car park at the same time. Beardie, Flash and I weren't in a hurry as our first stop was Balmaha. Again in hindsight, this was a mistake. Perhaps if we had seen The Runner earlier at Drymen we might have realised something wasn't right.

We arrived at Balmaha and parked exactly where The Runner wanted us, at the bottom near the toilets. For the first time in 8 years of doing this backup malarky I managed to sleep! Only half an hour but it was better than nothing. Just before he was due to arrive we set out all the things he had asked for. Soup, beans, coffee, grapes, smoothie and a rice pudding. Whatever he might have needed was ready and waiting for him. We also had VERY strict instructions to get him serviced and out again in 5 mins.

However, when he arrived he was in a right state. It wasn't until much later on in the day he told me he had been sick several times before Balmaha. If I had known this I would have reacted differently. He didn't want anything to eat and decided to go to the toilet first. This used up his 5 mins. He took some coffee and soup in disposable cups and left. As we tidied up Beardie and I commented on how grumpy he was. Again, another sign all was not well. Should we have arranged to see him again before Rowardennan?

We continued on to the midgie ridden hell that is Rowardennan and waited. When he arrived I knew by the way he walking towards the car that something wasn't right. His head was down, his shoulders were slumped and he was barely lifting his feet off the ground. He lifted his head and our eyes met. He couldn't speak and just shook his head. I just knew. As he got closer he said 'It's not going to happen today.' I couldn't even answer him.

We got to the car and Beardie tried his best to jolly him along but I knew it was game over. I know I'm supposed to be chief cheerleader and motivator but I just couldn't lie to him. He looked dreadful. Dull grey skin and sunken eyes. That was not how he should look at 27 miles. We walked back towards the checkpoint and met Mr Race Director who quickly realised the situation. Like everyone else that day he was stunned by the news. He realised something must be very wrong. We started walking towards the marshalls to hand in his tag. I let him go ahead of me as the tears started rolling down my face. I was gutted for him. For me. For Beardie and Flash. We walked back to the car in silence holding hands. People around us started asking if everything was ok. The news began to spread. The Runner had dropped out at Rowardennan.

We had a decision to make. Should we go home or continue to Fort William? Well, it was a no brainer. Of course we would go on. Anyone who knows The Runner knows he's just as interested in his friends' race success as he is in his own. He took the opportunity to see the race from another viewpoint. We drove back to Milngavie and dropped Flash off. I hope he wasn't disappointed that his race experience was over almost as it begin.

As we drove to Auchtertyre, The Runner slept. Obviously his body needed it. When we arrived the news quickly spread and The Runner found himself the centre of attention. This set the pattern for the rest of the day. Backup crews and runners first thought they were hallucinating when they saw him! There were some very funny double takes as we arrived. The Runner took it all in his stride and was genuinely keen to support all his friends but I know how much it hurt him.

We spent some time at Bridge of Orchy and then Kingshouse. I think The Runner was amazed to see how the backup works at each checkpoint. He hadn't realised how busy it gets. He enjoyed watching how each crew looked after their runner and got them back out again. He has a head for numbers and facts and was able to tell each runner that they were still on target. He offered sensible advice (I hope!) to those he knew were trying to set PBs.

As we headed towards Fort William I selfishly realised that I wouldn't need to go to Lundavra. The Runner to his credit didn't even ask if we should go up. We checked into the hotel, had a quick drink and then walked up to the finish. It was amazing to see the first runners arrive. And very emotional. Our fellow clubmate McStecko finished in an amazing 19 hours 14mins. He took over 8 hours off his previous time. Now that's a man to ask for training secrets! (He'll be at the BBQ!)

We also saw The Pastor's incredible sub 20 hours finish. I'm afraid I was yelling like a banshee as he ran through the car park as he was a bit tight for time! I hope he can edit it out of his video. I think we watched the first 15 arrivals. By then we were really tired and headed back to the hotel.

Although The Runner had held it together most of the day he was very emotional back in our room. Seeing his friends finish had just reinforced the fact that he had dropped out. He was still trying to make sense of it. Was it the training? Was it the tapering? The back to back marathons? The sub 21 target? Changing the first checkpoint? Could it be everything? I think we've come to the conclusion that there is a very simple reason. It had to be a virus. Small and deadly. Even today his legs are much sorer and heavier than they should be after 27 miles.

After a decent night's sleep and a full Scottish breakfast we headed off to the prizegiving. This was incredibly moving as many people came to speak to us. They were sure we had taken the right decision at the right time.

I'm incredibly proud of The Runner. I know the strength and depth of his character. It was one of the many reasons I married him. But I've been deeply touched by the many comments and messages he has received from his fellow runners and their backup crews. He is obviously held in high regard and I'm grateful to you all in expressing it. It has helped him through the last 2 days.

I guess it's too early to think about next year. But I hope there is a next year. I'm available if asked. And just in case he's getting a big head with all the nice things people are saying about him, let me tell you he can't pee straight into a toilet and he once reversed into a parked car because he 'didn't know it was there!'

8 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

Thanks darling, these are lovely comments. They mean a lot to me x

John Kynaston said...

What a great team you make! I've always enjoyed reading your comments from training runs and races from the back up perspective but this one really touched me. It made me realise again how much of a team effort this is .... both when things go well but also when things don't go to plan. Your support and love of Ian shone through every word. Thanks for being willing to share openly your thoughts.

I'm looking forward to Saturday and the opportunity to chat more.

John

Tim said...

I sure you're right about the virus Ali. I often have bowel upsets at the start or during an ultra race but never a problem with throwing up. I think if Ian was throwing up before Balmaha, something clearly had to be amiss and if you look at the race reports from people who've ended up hosptialised, quite a few have been due to pre-race or early race sickness.

It probably wouldn't have made any difference if you'd met Ian earlier. I've always sent Muriel on to Balmaha from the start and am somewhat bemused by folk who see their runner three times between the start and Drymen!

I'm glad you both came up to Fort William. The WHW without the two of you there just wouldn't have been the same but I know it must have really hurt for Ian at the prize giving. That's proof enough of the guts that Ian has.

Subversive Runner said...

Ali, you're a diamond, so is your husband. Please both make the race next year.

Anonymous said...

What a woman!! It was so touching to read your report and to see the support that you have for Ian. This is such an emotional roller coaster . . much more than last year. I wonder what WHW race will bring next year.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Katrina

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I think I have just about got over it now! Still not sure about next year though. I will somehow be trying to keep my school blog up to date while away so have a look if you want to see how I am getting on. Hope you and whw runner are recovering from everything, I think you were both amazing to stay and watch and go to the presentation.
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I've started crying again.

Brian Mc said...

Funny you mention viruses ... I felt fine but tired on Sunday post race, then more tired on Monday then on Monday night I woke up really achey and with a chill to the bones. I've spent most of my recovery week feeling really rubbish with a very bad cold / flu. It has only just left.