Monday 18 June 2007

The Week Before

Living with The Runner the week before the race is a nightmare. Firstly, he's running less cos he's tapering down and is a right grumpy so and so. Secondly, he's paranoid about catching a virus. This one is more risky as he usually comes down with a cold/flu type virus when he's not working or not running. Every December he gets a major virus as he cuts down on his training and builds up the partying!

Over the weekend we have already had a serious viral threat. He woke up on Saturday with a sore throat. Now the boys and I have already had a bit of a sore throat and a few sniffles at some point over the previous week, so it really shouldn't have been a surprise to him. The conversation went a bit like this:

Him: I've got a really sore throat. What will I do if it gets worse before Friday?
Me: Drink plenty of hot drinks, take your multi-vitamin tablets and 2 paracetamol. Don't worry, it'll be fine by Friday.

He complained on Sunday that he could feel a bit of a niggle in his hamstring.

Him: This is quite sore. What will I do if it gets worse before Friday?
Me: Do your stretches, make an appointment with your Crazy Physio and take 2 paracetamol. Don't worry, it'll be fine by Friday!

Last night he complained he was feeling really tired and sluggish.

Him: I'm feeling awful. What if I still feel like this on Friday?
Me: Have an early night and take 2 paracetamol. Don't worry, you'll be fine by Friday (said through gritted teeth)

He came home from work tonight with a bit of a runny nose.

Him: I think this could be developing into something serious. What if it's worse by Friday?
Me: Phone Mr Race Co-ordinator, tell him you're too ill to run and I'll get a good night's sleep on Friday!!!
Him: Well, maybe it's not that bad.......

And I've still got 4 more days of this!

2 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Brilliant ... I could hear his voice saying all those things! Hang in there allybea ... not long to go!

Sarah Ridgway said...

Very true, I've been feeling aches and pains all week. Just read Ian's Blog post about 'shut down' mode which has allayed a few fears, I thought i was the only one who had suddently lost all fitness and ability to run at anything more than a stumble.

Cheers

Iain R