Saturday 16 June 2007

The Caledonian Challenge

This weekend was the Caledonian Challenge. The organisers have hijacked the weekend nearest to the longest day. This has meant that they have been cluttering up the Way and generally annoying our runners who are going in the opposite direction. Cally Challenge participants are typically corporate types who think it would be a jolly wheeze to walk 50 odd miles in one day. You see them in their brand new trainers/walking boots and swinging their poles (yes that makes you go faster, not!) I love seeing their faces when the runners go past them and they realise you've covered the same distance as them but in half the time! Bless 'em!

A couple of years ago, a few of our friends were taking part in the Challenge. They knew The Runner would be running and worked out where and when their paths might cross. One dear friend who has a Flash Car (a Mercedes SLK convertible) knew to look out for The Runner around Kingshouse. Kingshouse is where our backup runner starts to run. The Runner arrived, filled up his bottles and set off with The Bearded One. They had just crossed the wee bridge when they bumped into Flash. Flash duly made positive comments about them looking good and wished them luck for the rest of the race.

On the Monday afterwards, Flash phoned The Runner to ask how he'd got on. He said "I was really worried about you. I thought you looked really tired and might not be able to finish. But The Bearded One looked great considering how far you'd run." Yeah, about 200 yards!!!

If you've got the DVD, have a look at the bit at Kingshouse. As The Runner crosses the bridge there are 2 wee boys. They must be brothers (as the mother of 3 boys the scenario is familiar to me). The bigger one kicks the wee one out the way and you hear him say "Ooh-yah!" He looks at The Runner then says quizically "What's he doing?" I think this is a very good question!

6 comments:

Andy Kerr said...

Sort of feels wrong being in June and the WHW isn't really a part of my life, great to read the stories from the other side of the world...

You forgot to include the Runner's views on the people in the Challenge! - mind you don't 'know if you'd want to use that language here!

allybea said...

I deliberately censored The Runner's views! I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Bytor-UK- said...

I really like this blog.
I have printed out every page for my support team(s) so they have no excuses.
Great stuff!
Any tips on how to deal with pre-race nerves?

allybea said...

I wouldn't dream of giving specific running advice as I'm only a casual runner myself. But a few years ago The Runner persuaded me to do the NY marathon with him. I say with him but he was finished by the time I reached the halfway point! I was so nervous I couldn't sleep the night before and got my eating so mixed up (partly due to the time difference) my bowels didn't know if they were coming or going.

Plenty of sleep and don't eat anything that might disrupt your insides would be my advice based on personal experience. And don't drink too much before the start or you'll be looking for places to pee for the first few hours. Oh, maybe that was just me!

Nevisknitter said...

wondered what the caledonian challenge was, seen the yellow AA signs for it all week, signposting the start.

Anonymous said...

Found this while searching for information.

Having run 10 - 15 miles daily as a misguided youth, I am training for the event this year and I guess you'd probably be sneering at me as I will be walking on achilles that are recovering from tears and also a torn MCL. I am glad your approach is to look down on others as clearly you will have plenty of opportunities.

Also happy that being able to run fuels your sense of superiority. I tend to waste my time admiring those that give their time selflessly to helping others or sacrifice themselves. I clearly have been wasting my time and will bow down to you should we ever meet as I know my place.

PS Most of my friends that run are great. What happened to you?