Sunday 24 June 2007

Best bits, worst bits

We've been home for a few hours now. The car has been unloaded although there is now a huge pile of 'stuff' lying in the hall. We have also acquired a couple boxes that Mr Race Co-ordinator couldn't fit in his Clever car. The washing machine is on fumigate cycle for The Runner's kit and I've had 3 vodkas and coke. Lovely jubbly!

During the race I made a few notes so I wouldn't forget anything. So far I have 5 pages! The Bearded One and The Railwayman were on their best behaviour. Despite that, I still have a few stories! I'll do a fuller blog over the next few days. But here are some quick highs and lows from the weekend in order of them happening.

Best Bits

One of the best bits was definitely seeing old friends and meeting lots of people that I previously 'knew' online. Thanks to everyone who came and said Hello. It was fantastic to hear that you have enjoyed reading my blog. Everyone wanted to know if I was going to keep it going after the race. The short answer is yes and no. I'll explain later!

Another highlight was an incident that I'll describe in fuller detail tomorrow but be warned it involves some nudity! It's a bit cheeky!!

I had the best cup of coffee all day made just for me at Kinlochleven by Backwards Tim (so called because he thought it would be a great idea to run the WHW backwards from FW to Milngavie on the shortest day of the year!) He came to cheer The Runner before going on to man the Lundavra checkpoint. Thanks BT!

The bonfire at Lundavra was brilliant. The backup teams gathered round to listen to Uncle Dunc's fireside stories. Some newbies were asking him why he started the event. They were hanging on every word.

Absolutely the best bit was The Runner finishing in a personal best. He bettered his previous PB by an astonishing 28 minutes. I am so proud of him. He still didn't get a kiss from me before his shower but amazingly he scored one from a good friend.

The final highlight was the prizegiving. Mr Race Co-ordinator knows every runner and tries to say something about each one before giving them their goblet. I loved it when Mr Running Shop said WHW runners are just normal ordinary people who do an extraordinary thing. Depends on your definition of ordinary I guess!

Worst Bits

Lack of sleep is a dreadful thing. Driving after being awake for 39 hours is not good.

Inconsiderate parking at the checkpoints drives me nuts. We all want good access to our runners but it shouldn't inconvience other backup teams.

Smelly wet running kit plus warm car equals one almighty pong! Our car smelled like a boy Scouts tent after a meal of baked beans!

Well done to everyone who finished. Your backup teams did a fantastic job getting you there. Thanks to The Bearded One and The Railwayman for your help. You are my heroes (but I'm still gonna tell stories about you!)

No comments: