Saturday 1 August 2009

Will run for shoes

By fortuitous coincidence this month's Running Fitness has a feature on beginners. It's not rocket science (a mixture of running and walking until you're running more than walking) but it's nice and easy to have a schedule already prepared for you. And they're following someone who is using the programme so it's encouraging to see how quickly they are running a few miles at a time and enjoying it. See that's the hard bit for me, in the past I've never got to the part where it's enjoyable. I don't seem to get that feel good endorphin rush that everyone else experiences. After an exercise session I always feel like a gin and tonic and that's what makes me feel good!

Talking of alcohol, I'm joining Ian on an alcohol free August. He's trying to get himself in shape for the 24 hour race in Tooting. The annoying thing is by the end of 2 weeks he'll have dropped half a stone just by cutting out booze. It takes so much more for me to drop the weight. I know I'll never be 8 stone again but I need to lose a decent amount to feel healthy again. So I've made a deal with Ian. With a proper training schedule, cutting out booze and eating sensibly I'm aiming to lose 2 stone. When I've lost the 2 stone he's going to buy me a pair of Jimmy Choos! http://www.jimmychoo.com/

Now, he's either keen to see a slinkier version of moi prancing around in a pair of ridiculously high heels or he thinks it's a safe bet. Either way, it's an added incentive for me get off my fat butt and get out that door!

7 comments:

Davie said...

Ally,
Why don't you try JogScotland. There is a group on Mondays at Auchterarder. See http://www.jogscotland.org.uk/ for other groups near you.
Advantages are;- Good company, fellow Jimmy Choo fans and plenty of G&T opportunities......
And a jogleader who won't lose the rag, a bit like not getting your Dad to teach you to drive!

Subversive Runner said...

An alcohol free august, fine....but has Ian remembered that he's staying with the Subversive Runner before the Tooting race????????

Brian Mc said...

There is a chance that running isn't the exercise for you. Maybe cycling or swimming?

Alcohol free? Not sure Jimmy Choo are worth that much. :-)

Debs M-C said...

Even I would give up alcohol for Jimmy Choos :-) Great deal. Although there's more chance of me walking after a bottle of wine, than there is of me walking in heels.

I'll buy you the compeed plasters to go with them.

An LBD and a pair of Jimmys in time for Christmas... :-)

xx

Marco Consani said...

hee hee, if Debbie gave up alcohol for a month she could afford a pair of Jimmy Choos. ;-)

Nice one Ally. Good luck.

Marco

Lee Maclean said...

Ally,
I would love to loose two stone in exchange for Jimmy Choos.
My problem is two fold-
1. I have massive feet, I like to think of it as having a good grip of Scotland.
2. The other is that I am rather tall and walking in high heels is something I've never had to master.

Do you think they would make good ornaments?

Good luck with your challenge. And enjoy shopping for shoes ;-)

Mrs Mac x

Debs M-C said...

As I'm a three bottles for £10 kinda gal, that would be awful lot of three bottles :-)