Sunday 9 August 2009

Location, location, location

For the first time ever, I've come to appreciate that where you run makes a huge difference. In the past I've sought out flat routes with no hills (ie round a boring housing estate) with the aim of getting the run over with as quickly as possible. I'm sure that seeing and hearing Ian and everyone else on the Way has made me think about location in a different way.

I've been following a beginner's programme that's had me walking briskly until now. Today for the first time I actually did some proper running (and walking too!) for 40 minutes. And I loved it! I ran down the castle road near the house with views across to the Ochils on my left and rolling hills and farmland to my right. It was a beautiful sunny morning and I smiled a lot as I ran. I managed to miscalculate my run/walk sections and actually ran more than I needed to. I even ran up a hilly bit of the road! I totally get why you would want to run the 53 miles in the Fling or 42 miles in the Devil. And I surprised myself by even daring to think that maybe one day I could!!!

Of course everything hurts now. My ankles, my knees, my hips, my back. And my face - from smiling so much : )

7 comments:

Davie said...

Well done,Ally! Each journey starts with but a single step.

Try and get Ian to smile more, too. It takes less muscles to smile than to frown!

Debs M-C said...

Careful, Ally. It's VERY addictive. But as a NY marathon finisher, you know that. The first time I went out I couldn't run for one minute. I started with the run for one, walk for one...and look where it got me :-) Ian will be supporting you before you know it.

Well done. Enjoyment is much more important that speed or distance.

See you soon xx

John Kynaston said...

Well done Allybea. I think that was the way Ian took me when we stayed at your house for the bbq.

It was good to see you yesterday.

John

Brian Mc said...

You are getting closer to the point where you go 'now why I am running on a road looking at hills, why not run on the hills themselves ...?' :-))))

Silke said...

Great news about your enjoyment of running in the countryside. And the better news is you get to walk all the uphills (well we mortals do anyway) which really keeps me going. Maybe next time a training run is scheduled, we can do part of it together?! And then wait for the rest of the group in the pub!
Silke

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Silke said about a training run! I was really pleased to read your post as talking to you on Sat you did not seem that convinced about enjoying it so thats a bit turnaround! Roll on the new shoes as well!
Caroline x

Thomas said...

Yeah you are one of us now. And please stay with us.

Silke said no way I can do a Devil, and you know how that ended :-)
I look forward to seeing Ian supporting and you running (maybe a Fling, maybe a Devil)!
And it would not surprise me if you end up with a Goblet BEFORE I get one!

Thomas