Friday 28 August 2009

Progress

Yes, there is progress in my feeble attempt to get back running but it's rather slow. However yesterday I had a bit of a breakthrough. The training plan I'm following is totally different from anything I've tried (and failed at!) in the last few years. Right from the first session you're on your feet for about 40 minutes. In the beginning it's mostly longer spells of walking with a bit of running. It gradually changes over the weeks so that you're running more and walking less.

Until yesterday I couldn't get over the walking for 2 minutes in between the running. But somehow my legs and breathing co-operated with each other and I was able to all the running bits with only a 1 minute walk in between. I was simply gobsmacked as I had a bit of a hangover (yep we didn't manage an alcohol free August!), I hadn't eaten any breakfast and when I arrived in Crieff I realised I'd forgotten my watch so went home with the intention of actually skipping the run. But Lucydog was crying with excitement at the prospect of a run so I changed my mind and went down to the village instead. I'm so glad I did.

I've not had much success in setting goals and planning races in the past. So I've surprised myself by entering the 5k run at Loch Ness. My target is to run the whole way without walking. The 2 routes that I've been running on locally are around the 4/5k mark so I know what to expect. I don't have a clue how long it'll take me but I'm not that bothered at this stage.

2 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Well done Allybea. I've been wondering how you were getting on with your training plan.

JK

Lee Maclean said...

If it will help me get my motivation back I think I might join you on that 5km.

Your a star Allybea,
Mrs Mac x