Wednesday 29 July 2009

A Sunday outing and a new start

On Sunday Ian, Lucydog and I had a wee outing on The Way. It was a bit damp and blustery to start with but it cleared up later on. Ian wanted to run from the Devil's Staircase to Fort William. Lucydog would have run with him all the way but since labs are prone to hip problems in later life if they over exercise, we decided she would run from Kinlochleven. It was especially poignant when we stopped at the bottom of the Devil's Staircase as the last time we were there was with Dario, supporting him in last year's Devil o' the Highlands race. But mindful of his sister's comments at his funeral I tried really hard to remember how positive he was and how thrilled he was to be taking part. He didn't mind that he was at the back of the field or that the sweeper was almost catching him up. That thought stayed with me throughout the afternoon and made me smile.

Ian set off and I arranged to met him in Kinlochleven at the usual place.


An excited Lucydog is ready to run
-
A couple of hours later I met them at the Braveheart car park as Ian didn't want Lucydog to run along the busy main road to the leisure centre. As he left us she began to cry as she wanted to go with him. That dog just loves to run with her master.
-
At the leisure centre Lucydog had her dinner (followed by a huge burp!) and Ian had a shower. When she saw him coming out she bounded across the car park to meet him. I wish I had a fraction of her energy after 13 miles! Ian had a roll and a coffee (followed by a huge burp, then some retching and coughing!)

A few hours later she was curled up in her bed sound asleep
-
Throughout the afternoon I had plenty of time to think about stuff, especially Dario. He didn't mind being at the tail end of a race, he was just happy to run. This was mentioned frequently on Thursday by those paying tribute to him. I have to say that I stopped running myself because I didn't like being being at the end of a race and was embarassed by my times compared to the other people in my running club. A few years ago when I ran in the NYC marathon someone laughed at me when I told them my time. Now when people ask my time I say I finished.
-
For the last 20 years I've been surrounded by good runners, sub 3 hour marathons and sub 40 minute 10k. My 10k PB is 66m 16s (and that includes a pit stop at a portaloo!) As Ian pointed out that would now put me in the middle of the field at the Glasgow Women's 10k.
-
So inspired by Dario (if that doesn't sound too cheesy) I'm going to get back into proper running. I'm not going to set myself targets or aim to run in any particular race, I'm just going to run. And when I eventually take part in a race I'm not going to care if I finish last as long as I finish. But most importantly if someone laughs at my efforts I'll know that it's their failing, not mine. Because I'll just be happy that I can run.
-
PS My NYC marathon time was 7 1/4 hours!

9 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

That's a great attitude to have to running - I'm sure we could all learn something from Dario's philosophy. And I know how much effort you put in to finish that NY marathon. You must have been tempted to give up so many times, but you didn't: you kept going, finished, and got your medal. That means you are a marathon runner. No-one can ever take that away from you.

xx

Davie Bell said...

Good attitude ally ,too many people put too much pressure on themselves regards their running I've been there,it's all about getting out there whether it be hills,roads or trails and enjoying the moment and being grateful that you are able to do it,good luck with your comeback :-)

Debs M-C said...

Woohoo!! I got goosebumps reading that. You go girl. Who cares about times. xxx

Ps: I would love a NYC Marathon medal. You've got one up on me.

Debs M-C said...

Oh and I had to get the bus back from Fort William on Saturday. Note to self: Have word with support team :-)

Marco Consani said...

Fabulous Ali. No matter if you are at the front or at the back that is the best attitude to have. Too many people get too caught up with times and stop enjoying running. I am sure every one of us is guilty of that.
You can only be a winner with your attitude.

Marco

PS Debs gave me Saturday off because I was so good the week before.

John Kynaston said...

Well done Allybea. Great post and I know Dario would be very happy to think he has encouraged yet another person to get running again!

Hope it goes well and I look forward to reading all about it.

JK

Brian Mc said...

A great attitude. Time spent with good company in beautiful landscapes pushing yourself along is what matters to me.

Geraldine said...

Hey Allybea

What counts when you run races is not the time but the goody bag - I say do it for the mars bars.

Motivation comes in many forms. In one of my two races I had to run faster than another runner as she was wearing such a stupid hat I found just looking at it offensive. Seriously you should have seen it - hand knitted by a granny with a grudge.

I called Dario when I completed my first race, a 5K in March, and he was as happy and as proud of me as when he stood at Fort Bill leisure centre congratualting the WHWR runners. I am going to find it hard next time I finish a race not to immediately text him to let know how I got on, but I know he will be watching over me eating a twix encouraging me all the way.

take care
Gx

Silke said...

Ah, another "supporter-turned-runner"! Where will they get their next support crew from?!

I think it is a great plan and attitude. And in Dario you have a great example to think of when it gets tough. Good luck.
Silke