Wednesday 12 August 2009

It's not easy

I'm not smiling today. In fact I feel like curling up on the couch and crying cos I'm sooo sore. I knew the initial euphoria would wear off but not this quickly. I dragged myself out of bed and made myself eat something before I went for a run/walk with Lucydog round Lady Mary's Walk in Crieff. My legs seem to have long forgotten that I used to be able to do this. They feel like I haven't been running for 20 years instead of only a couple.

I had 2 thoughts as I kept forcing one foot in front of the other. Debs left me a comment saying the first time she went out running she couldn't run for more than a minute. And look at what she achieved last Saturday! That really motivated me to keep going. Thanks Debs.

The other was a conversation I had with John and Katrina on Saturday. They reminded me that 99% of the population either can't or won't run. I'm in that 1% group that's at least trying. Thanks guys for helping me put it in perspective.

I got home to find a parcel on the doorstep. My new running shoes had arrived. Same as my old ones, just a newer version. New shoes are a good incentive for me. Not quite my Jimmy Choos yet but they'll do for now. Can't wait to try them out.

4 comments:

phil said...

Eventually got round to reading your blog Alison.
Brilliant that you're running again.In fact you've run further than me in the last week.
The best advice I can give is Churchills advice which is KBO (keep buggering on!!)Mind you he wasnt a runner.

Tim said...

Hi Ally,

I think if you're really *that* sore, you probably need to factor in a couple of days rest and then take it easier for a bit. I know how disappointing it can be when you have a good run followed by feeling cr*p but you just have to accept that it's going to take a time for you body to adapt again to the stresses of running. Remember, rest (& red wine) are important components of any training scheme. ;-)

Debs M-C said...

You know you're a runner when you get top training "advice" from Tim :-) Sorry, Tim :-)

A great excuse for some shopping, that's ma girl. Get yourself a new outfit and socks too. Looking the part is half the battle I think.

As per my text, I used to wait until it dark, as I couldn't run to the end of the street without stopping. Run-Walk is the way forward. Soon you'll be running more than walking.

xx

Anonymous said...

You're doing great :-)
Karen d