Monday 12 May 2008

What's the difference....

....between one of my white t-shirts and one belonging to The Runner? In case you can't tell, mine is the one on the right. The t-shirt on the left (one of dozens) is from the Dublin Marathon in 1997. It's older than No3 son! But for some strange reason The Runner won't part with it. Not only won't he part with it, HE INSISTS ON STILL WEARING IT! IN PUBLIC!!!!

Why are runners so attached to t-shirts from certain races? I see it frequently at races we go to. Is it a badge of honour? Is it an ego thing? I have to say it's mostly men I see wearing old manky t-shirts eg London Marathon 1983. Are you making a statement? 'I've been running longer than you've been out of nappies!'

Many years ago I threw out some of The Runners old t-shirts. They were grey, mildewed and holey. I was the talk of the steamie! Well, the Troon Tortoises training runs for weeks. It stills gets cast up from time to time.

Well, this is advance notice. When you have more t-shirts than drawer space it's time for a cull. So lookout for a subdued Runner in the next few weeks. At least he will be better dressed at races.

Just don't get me started on his pants...................

6 comments:

Brian Mc said...

Now, what washing powder are you using? A very impressive shade of white there!

Subversive Runner said...

I'm brining my washing round, Mrs Beattie!!!

Marco Consani said...

Debbie wont let me wear what she calls "cooncil T-Shirts" out in public either.
I dont know why. The Loch Ness Marathon t-shirt is a wonderful design.

Debs M-C said...

Yes, but darlin, you lost the Loch Ness t-shirt after you ran it.

Allybea - I have to sneak around throwing out Marco's out trainers as he refuses to part with them. I'm frequently quoted as saying "they've gone to trainer heaven" and "oh yes, those too".

I've got some white (ish) socks that could do with some of your magic.

Debs M-C said...

Ps: I can't really cull Marco's clothes. I have 6 wardrobes...and he has a shelf and a drawer ;-)

allybea said...

I have 1 chest of drawers and a bedside cabinet. The Runner has 3 chests of drawers, a bedside cabinet and 2 under the bed drawers!!! He also has more shoes than me (and I've a fair few).

I don't have magic washing powder I just don't keep my t-shirts for 11 years!