Sunday 18 May 2008

2 day training run on the Way - Day 1

We arrived at Balmaha slightly behind schedule. All I can say was 'It wisny me!' The Man from Peebles had already left so the guys chucked 3 large sports bags into our already full car. The Runner had 1 large sports bag AND a suitcase of clothes!! I had 1 small overnight bag which had 2 full changes of clothes (in case of very wet conditions) and extra trousers to change into for dinner. The guys set off at 10.30am and I headed towards Rowardennan.
-
The Runner, Pacepusher and The Pastor at Balmaha
-
When I arrived at Rowardennan, there were 2 mini buses from Kyle Academy full of pupils who were going to climb Ben Lomond. I didn't mean to eavesdrop but I had to laugh at the pre-climb briefing from the teacher in charge. It was the usual 'You're representing your school' type of chat with heavy emphasis on good behaviour. It was nice to see a school group doing outdoor activities as there has been much negative press about outward bound activities going wrong.
-
About 15 minutes before the guys arrived a huge machine appeared and started to churn up the path. It was very noisy and extremely dusty. Luckily it didn't have any impact on anyone walking or running on the path. I completely missed The Man from Peebles as I was expecting the 3 amigos to have caught him and arrive together. But it was just the 3 runners who arrived on time and had a very quick pitstop.

Yum, baked beans at Rowardennan


Chocolate milk at Rowardennan

Had my grapes and ready to go

The long drive round from Rowardennan to Beinglas is always the worst bit on the actual race day. It was nice to do it in clear daylight and without sleep deprivation. I parked at Beinglas Farm and noticed a sign which had camping charges. It also said it was £1 to park your car! As I was intending to eat in the pub I didn't pay my parking charge. Maybe I should have paid it as the £8.80 I paid for a disgusting cheese toastie and chips was a rip off. I always make a point of spending money here but this is the second time recently the food has been inedible (I bought a cheese roll to take away at The Fling that was stale).

All 4 runners arrived together and I finally met The Man from Peebles. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos here as I was busy filling water bottles etc. By this time the temperature had risen to the low 20s. The Runner needed sun cream as he burns easily being fair skinned. Everyone looked in good shape (despite Pacepusher going over on his ankle) and they were still good humoured. Next stop Auchtertyre aka the Wigwams.

Pacepusher was the first to arrive and he did not look happy. He had gone over on his ankle again and it didn't look pretty. So the Sports First Aid kit got its first outing in the 2 years I've had it. We agreed it wouldn't be sensible to remove his shoe as it might not go back on. So I gave the ankle a good drenching of ice spray (first checking the skin wasn't broken). It probably didn't make any difference but he later said it felt as if it had an effect. I had also managed to get more milk at the farm shop so he downed a cold pint of the disgusting stuff (I hate milk. Yuck!) and he set off before the others arrived.

Arriving at Auchtertyre

The Runner and The Pastor arrived together about 10 mins after Pacepusher left. Both were in good shape and they also downed some cold white stuff. Strawberries and grapes were also consumed with their beans before they set off.

The Man from Peebles arrived 10 mins after they had left so I didn't have to wait long. He needed more water and had a coffee. He was confident of finishing before dinner.

I arrived at Bridge of Orchy as the heavens opened and checked into my lovely hotel room. It had a birds eye view of the road so I could watch for the runners as they ran down the hill. First to arrive was Pacepusher. He had pushed himself really hard. In fact he had pushed himself so hard he was shaking and not just from being wet. He was also a bit incoherent. I've seen many friends like this at the end of races so I gave him a big towel to wrap up in and got him a cup of tea. By the time The Runner and Pastor arrived he was a bit more with it. They both knew that a hot shower was the best solution and all 3 headed off to warm up.

The Runner was in a bath when The Man from Peebles arrived. As 8.45pm was the earliest we could have dinner, he had plenty of time get ready.

Everyone was in good spirits for dinner although Pacepusher sat with ice on his ankle which was ballooning up nicely. Service was very slow and we must have been the last meal to come out the kitchen. It was very nice but I suffered indigestion all night as a result of eating so late.

The Runner and I were the first to go to bed since he was nodding off in the corner. We agreed to meet at 7.30am for breakfast.

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

Great report as always Allybea. It is always interesting to read how it went from your perspective.

Thanks again

John