Monday 19 May 2008

Day 2

Why did I think having breakfast at 7.30am was a good idea? I had 2 cups of tea and a few spoonfuls of porridge (it was too salty). I should have waited until the runners had left and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at 9am. Ah well, you live and learn. The Runner managed a full Scottish breakfast as did Pacepusher who couldn't run as his ankle was too sore. He decided a spot of support would be good for the soul. And it meant Mrs Pacepusher could recce the bit she'll be running as his support runner in the race. 4 more runners joined us at Bridge of Orchy so a team of 6 set off together at 9am.
-
A right motley crew!
-
Since I didn't need to be at Kingshouse for another 2 hours I returned to my 'suite' and got ready to check out. It was a very nice room with quality bedding and Anta throws but I didn't sleep much better than last year's bunkhouse experience and I still heard snoring from the next room! (The window sills were a bit dusty so I wrote 'Clean me' with my finger!) I guess next year it's back to the bunkhouse and save ourselves a heck of a lot of money.
-
I made my way up to Kinghouse and noticed the temperature was only 8 degrees. It was quite chilly standing waiting for the guys to arrive. But I introduced Mr and Mrs Pacepusher to the delights of Earl Grey tea which kept us warmed, although Pacepusher calls it Url Grey! I wish I had a pound for every time he said 'This support stuff is a bit boring!'
-
All 6 runners arrived together although Running Fool didn't stop for a break. Beans, rice, coffee and grapes were consumed before they set off again. Pacepusher couldn't believe we waited all that time just to see them for 5 mins. Welcome to the world of the back up crew!
-
Quick stop at Kingshouse

Next it was down the winding road to Kinlochleven and a visit to the Co-op to stock up on a few things. For the first time in years I had a Cup-a-soup. It wasn't too bad and it was warm and filling. I didn't want to risk another dodgy pub lunch although to be fair I've not been in the Tail Race Inn to eat before. Mrs Pacepusher was going to run from here so she set off just before the runners were due to arrive. She fully expected to be caught by someone.

Mr and Mrs Pacepusher at Kinlochleven
-
After she set off we were surprised to see 4 runners arrive. Running Fool, American Gal, Quiet Man and The Other Beardie had the fresher legs. Again they had a very quick stop and left as The Runner and The Pastor arrived. I had said all along I didn't want to go up to Lundavra but The Runner was VERY grumpy and said he might need stuff there (he rarely does which is why it's waste of time for me). So I grumpily said I would go. After the runners had left, Mrs Pacepusher's aunt (a nurse) arrived. Luckily she was in the area and had agreed to look at Pacepusher's ankle. She didn't think it was broken but felt it needed to be strapped up. Out came my trusty Sports First Aid kit. However she didn't think the bandages were very good so that's definitely something I'll be looking at for the race. She strapped up Pacepusher's ankle for him. Once he put his shoe back on I thought he was walking a bit easier. Maybe he was just relieved that she said it wasn't broken although she advised resting it for 2 weeks! We set off for Lundavra.
-
Every time I go up there more and more trees have been cleared. It used to be lovely up there (when there's no midgies about) but now it's just ruined.

Pacepusher tries to pass another 5 mins by reading the board!

Funniest moment of the day was Mrs Pacepusher's arrival at Lundavra. We weren't expecting her to be first so Pacepusher wasn't prepared. She threw her top into the back of the car, yelled 'Where's my water? You're a rubbish back up!' grabbed her bottle herself and left. Total time 10 secs! Pacepusher was speechless!


Mrs Pacepusher arriving at Lundavra


The Runner and The Pastor arrived together and left quickly. Their experience had obviously won over the fresh legs. Running Fool and The Other Beardie were going well and left us fairly quickly. Best photo of the day was definitely Quiet Man's expression. I think it sums up the exhausted runner perfectly. He decided to stop here and get a lift back to Fort William. For various reasons his previous day hadn't been ideal preparation for a tough run but everyone learns from the experience and I'm sure he'll be fine on the race day.

I'm exhausted!

On the other hand, American Gal was feeling and looking good. Her cookies have obviously got magic ingredients! She ran the final section strongly and caught up with Running Fool to finish together.

Not far to go now

When I arrived at Fort William I had plenty of time to pop into Morrisons where I was able to get fresh milk and some Mars milk for The Runner. Allybea's snack bar was up and running by the time the runners began arriving. Mrs Pacepusher arrived first, thrilled that no-one had caught her. I think in a few years she may well be running the race herself! Next in was The Pastor, followed by The Runner. The Other Beardie was next with Running Fool and American Gal following.
We did it!
-
It was a successful 2 days of running and supporting for us. I was as tired as The Runner. We both slept like logs on Saturday night. As ever there a few things I need to change and work on for the race. I'll give it some thought and post on it. Best part of the weekend was meeting more of the WHW Family. They were all very nice but clearly nuts! I'm in good company ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allybea

We use The Inveroran Hotel. It is cleaner and the staff/owners more friendly and accomodating. Glad everyone had a good week-end.

Jon C

Brian Mc said...

Good report allybea, I enjoyed it. But where have all the trees gone at Lundavra? Crikey, it looks pretty different from the last time I was there (a few years ago).