Sunday 27 April 2008

The Highland Fling

Where do I begin? Since I wasn't at the start (getting up at 3.15am is not my idea of fun) I'll start at the end with 2 gory photos! Was it a bit slippy in places guys?

The Pastor's knee

The Runner's hand
----------
Fortunately The Runner got a lift to the start at Milngavie with some fellow Strathearn Harriers who were running. So I got a long lie until 7am. Woohoo! However, leaving the house on time wasn't easy as Isla our old dog decided to go upstairs. She's not allowed up anyway but her hips are too stiff to negotiate coming back down. She's also getting a bit confused in her old age so it was a battle to get back down. Result? 20 mins late leaving the house. No problem I thought, I've left loads of time to get to Balmaha. Didn't account for a tractor and trailer holding up the traffic for miles! (Ever seen a petrol tanker overtake a tractor on a winding road at a blind summit? Very scary!!)
----------
I arrived at Balmaha 5 mins before The Runner! 'We're a bit fast,' he said! Luckily I had a flask of coffee already made. But it was a bit of a tight one. So I followed my own rules of lying through my teeth and not telling him my hassles even though he was very grumpy! After he left, I spoke to my friend The Flicker whose other half McStecko was running exceptionally well.
----------
At Rowardennan, I spoke to loads of people. Some I knew well and some I knew I knew but couldn't remember their names. I'm finding more and more I'm useless with names. Only adults though. Put me in class of 30 kids and I'll know all their names by the end of the day. The Runner was in and out very quickly here. In fact he was so quick, I forgot to ask and he forgot to tell me when he'd be at Beinglas! And since we've had such a busy week we hadn't discussed times or produced our usual timesheet. I was really annoyed as I'm useless with times and numbers (and also dates! Remember this is the woman who sent her son back to school a day early last year!!) Hmm, I see a theme here.
----------
I arrived at Beinglas and fortunately bumped into Mr Race Director. Now he's a man who's good with times. He was able to give me an estimated arrival time for The Runner. Phew! I also spent time with my favourite guy Beardie and his daughter The Cool Chick. They were there to be the back up car if anyone needed assistance after dropping out. I also spent some time chatting to the Pastor's Posse.


Cool Chick



The Pastor's Posse

The Runner was in and out of Beinglas quickly. As usual he asked for the only thing I didn't have in the bag! We arranged to meet (at a precise time) at the underpass on the A82. By this time the sun had come out and it was becoming a pleasant day. I took some photos while waiting.




(Blogger won't let me delete this one!)

Gorgeous waterfall but not a good idea to stand next to it when you need the loo!
----------
After this stop, it was straight to Tyndrum (and the loo!) for the finish. I spoke to loads more people. I met my German Friend and his wife for the first time. He looked really tired after his great performance. So did McStecko and the Scot Wot Lives Down Sarf. Well done guys! As ever, The Pastor looked fresh as a daisy, apart from his knee. The Runner came in strongly despite being covered in mud and blood. I must admit to being relieved he finished safely as I didn't think he was mentally or physically prepared for the event. But as ever, we've learned from the day and will take on board some new things for the big event in June.


Look, he's smiling!
----------
We'd just got back to the car when we met Dunking and his wife The Kiwi. He was stiff and sore but pleased with his run. I'm sure McStecko will put a full report on the Harriers blog later.
----------
Well done everyone who took part. It was a great race superbly organised by The Pilot and his Helensburgh Lass. Congratulations on all the PBs and especially to the Running Fool on his silverware! Is everyone ready for the full race now?

5 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Is 'The Scot Wot lives Down Sarf' Brian McIntosh????

Brian Mc said...

I reckon that might indeed be me. Good to meet you on the day Allybea albeit through a post-race knackered haze!

allybea said...

Aye, that's the man. Nice chap, bit of a funny walk tho......

Thomas said...

Allybea, thanks for your comments on my blog. And we really enjoyed reading your race tale.
Looking forward to meeting you again in seven weeks!

Thomas and Silke

Marco Consani said...

Eeek, how do you do it Allybea. I tried supporting my wife Debs (the one with the socks)and I tell you it is much easier being the runner. My hat goes off to you.

See you soon

Marco