Sunday 20 April 2008

A bit of role reversal

This is my 8th year of being The Runner's backup. So when I announced my intention to take part in The Moon Walk (a full marathon through the streets of Edinburgh during the night of June 14th), he kindly offered to be my backup. A night without sleep should be no problem for him and it's for an excellent cause. http://www.walkthewalk.org/

Now I have to confess that I've only ever walked a little bit of the WHW before. Several years ago when we were members of Troon Tortoises, the club organised a relay event. The Hippy Chick and I walked over the hill from Bridge of Orchy to Inveroran Hotel. I think everyone else ran a section. We then had a meal in Fort William and stayed overnight.

So this morning we went for a walk on the WHW. I needed a good 10 mile walk and The Runner loves any excuse for being on the Way. Even if it was at a much slower pace than he's used to! We parked at Milngavie station and walked for 5 miles. We turned and came back the same way. It was tough going (for me). There are a lot of little climbs. Throughout the first 2 miles The Runner pointed out all the places where runners get lost. I must confess that I've always thought 'How can anyone get lost at the start?' Now, having walked it I can see exactly how you can get lost in the dark!


Me and Lucy at the start
Stunning views

5 miles



Quick break


Stuffing my face with a tuna melt panini. YUM!
And now I have sore feet (but no blisters!) My legs ache from my ankles to my hips but unbelievably my back is fine. Yes! The physio and Pilates must be working at last :)

2 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Hi Allybea,

Good luck in the Moonwalk. There's a London based event that goes through Battersea Park. We often park the fire engine up and cheer on the competitors....don't need much excuse to watch hundreds of ladies in their underwear!!

Debs M-C said...

Ian's all heart! What a chore that will be for him ;-)

Good luck with the training. The Moonwalk is something I've always fancied, but never got round to.