Monday 5 October 2009

Inverness 5k

The first target I set myself when I started running again was to run the Inverness 5k. I wanted to be able to run the whole way without walking. And I did! It took me 41m 37s but I ran every single step. There were loads of kids who set off at 100mph but were walking after 2 mins. There were adults who were running faster than me but slowed to a walk and I passed them again. There were fairies, rabbits and guys in kilts. There were kids with painted faces and women with pink hair. It was brilliant!

Getting that medal at the finish line was amazing. I felt like I actually earned it. It's now hanging beside my NYC marathon medal (2002) and Glasgow 10k (2004).

On the way home I read out a text on Ian's phone because he was driving. It was from Geraldine and it made me cry. But for a good reason. Thanks Geraldine. And thanks to everyone else who sent messages. It's a small but significant step for me and your encouragement is very much appreciated.

I have 2 more targets to aim for now. The first is to be able to go out with the Harriers on their Monday run without holding anyone back. I'm hoping this will happen soon.

The second is to run the Women's 10k next year in an hour. My best time is 66m but it was on the old route and it was years ago when the event first started.

I've no excuses now for not running throughout the winter as I've got some fabulous new Gore running kit courtesy of a certain Family member and his shop at the race. As Ian pointed out I've now got better kit than him to run in.

8 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Brilliant news, Allybea! Well done xx

Davie said...

Well done, Allybea. And glad to see you chose the running kit rather than the Jimmy Choos ;-)
You may have better kit than Ian but I bet you don't have as much!

Subversive Runner said...

Top girl, Ali. You the gal.xx

Kaz said...

Well done Ally. Totally knew you could get to that point. I think it is great you are going to come to the time trials - you can do the one lap and bit by bit improve. I don't think it will be that long until you are confident enough to join us on a Monday, but personally speaking you are welcome at any time. I would say if you came out and joined us for half of the run at first you would see yourself improve pretty quickly. There is usually someone doing a shorter version most weeks due to taper, recovery, fatigue, bugs, time constraints so it wouldn't be an usual thing to do. Keep up the great work - who knows I may have another person to consider in team selections next year!
Great Job! El capitaness - aka Kaz.

John Kynaston said...

Congratulations Allybea!

Thanks for sending me your text which I received half way through church (it was on silent).

I'm really pleased for you and look forward to following your progress towards that 10k.

Remember there are loads of people who couldn't do what you've done already.

JK

Thomas said...

Well done for achieving your target and finishing without walking!
I also hope that your apetite for more running remains (and grows even!).

phil said...

Well done Alison.
Its great when a plan comes together.

Silke said...

A great achievement! Well done!
Silke