Thursday 17 September 2009

Running v Daytime Telly

I know I run the risk of sounding like a big blouse wearing girlie but when will this running malarky get a bit easier? According to my training schedule I should now be running easily for 20 minutes without needing to walk. I'm nowhere near that! And as for the claim that I should be feeling full of energy and raring to go......*blows big raspberry*


I'm never going to run a sub 3 hour hour marathon but a slight improvement in speed/time/distance would be nice. I still can't go for a run without walking bits of it although I can run for longer periods now. But even though I'm running more I'm not covering the distance any quicker. In fact I was a minute slower today over the same route I ran last week.


Someone kindly suggested that maybe running isn't for me. Maybe it isn't but it's the easiest way for me to fit aerobic activity into my jam packed life and I get to exercise Lucydog at the same time. But frankly I'm at a stage where I could easily give this up and lie on the couch eating chocolate and watch daytime telly.

Somebody kick my arse. Please.

3 comments:

Davie said...

Perhaps you are starting off your run too fast. Getting puffed out and forced to walk is a sure sign that this is the problem.
Try this.... run at a pace much slower than your normal starting pace and then speed up just a little after 10 minutes then give the final 5 minutes of your 20 the welly.
If you can do this without walking you should finish with a sense of exhilaration and the thought that you could do it all again!
The other thing that I have to address with my jogging group is that they slow to a walk instead of just slowing their running pace a wee bit. Often, the walk/don't walk is just a mental barrier they have to beat. Once you get past the barrier you will wonder what all the fuss was.
But don't be too bothered about walking. After all, we all do it on long runs. And when we started 20 minutes was a long run.

Subversive Runner said...

Keep at it Ally, Being out there and walking with a bit of running thrown in is better than not being out there at all.

As an occassional daytime telly viewer I can tell you that, unless you're watching the History Channel or Discovery, it's a load of feckin' shite! ;-)

Lee Maclean said...

Ally, no givin up now missy!!
I think Davie the polis has a point about the mental barrier.
I have this thing about if I 'run' up a hill then I can walk at the top. The Subversive one has other ideas. I get shouted at and my arse firmly kicked.
Keep it up. Daytime TV is pants!!

Mrs Mac x