Friday 18 September 2009

10 reasons why women should run

I found this in my wanderings around t'internet. Think it originally came from realbuzz.com.

1. Running is the most efficient path to cardiovascular fitness
That's true. I've tried a few things in my time in an effort to get fit and running has worked for me in the past.

2. Running is the most accessible of aerobic sports
Yep, true again for me. Since we live in the sticks my nearest gym is miles away and I've no idea where there's a decent sized swimming pool. And getting on a bike round here is just suicidal!

3. Running is cheap and easy to learn
Uh huh, as long as I've got decent shoes and a good support bra I'm sorted. Easy to learn but it takes a lot of practising!

4. Running is the best method of stress reduction on the market
Maybe for some but I'm still lying awake at 2am despite being exhausted.

5. Running can help ease women's menstrual tension
Ask Ian about that one!!

6. Running is an excellent component of any weight control programme
Ok, here's where I disagree. I still haven't shifted a single pound. Although I can squeeze into some trousers that were previously too tight and wouldn't zip up. I know that muscle weighs more than fat blah blah..... but I was hoping for a slight loss pushing me nearer the Jimmy Choos.

7. Running is a flexible method of training
Agreed

8. Running increases your overall sense of well-being. Fitness, self-esteem and confidence all increase with exercise
Clearly I'm doing something wrong as I don't feel fitter and I'm definitely not confident enough to be seen running by people who know me.

9. Running is for families and individuals of all ages
Absolutely!

10. Running is a great social activity
Well I guess it is since our entire social life revolves around running, runners and races. I can count on 1 hand the number of close friends we have not involved in running.

I know there are many good reasons for running. I just haven't found the one that really makes me think 'Wow this is why I want to keep doing this.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also, running allows us to eat that chocolate brownie with less guilt and even after a bad run it still feels better to have gone out than to have sat in and just thought about it.
Does it get easier? I'm not sure - I just set sillier goals when it does, but the compensations get better and better.
Hang on in there; every run that makes me feel good is worth paying for with the runs where I struggle to keep going.