Thursday 18 September 2008

Closure

At last we have closure. 2008 is not a write off as far as ultra running is concerned. Words cannot describe the shadow that has hung over the summer since that day in June. Of course The Runner just had to go out and attempt something even more extreme than the WHW. What could be more extreme than running 95 miles up and down mountains? How about running round and round and round a loop for 24 hours?

I snorted into my tea on Monday when a very tired Runner declared that he felt calm and in control all last week. Oh really??? I'm afraid poor Beardie (and later The Pastor) got a bit of my thoughts on the calmness after holding my tongue all week! Even Mr Race Director got a blast of my 'I'm never doing back up again for That Man!' rant before the race. I'm so sorry guys!

Anyway, what can I say about the race that hasn't already been blogged about? Eh, The Runner ran round a loop. Then we saw him again after the next loop. Then we saw him after another one. Yep, it was dull and boring for me. Have I mentioned the rain yet? I was soaked from the start of the race until I went home for a few hours sleep. Apparently it was a lovely evening after I left Perth. Typical!

About 20 seconds before this photo was taken I was told to 'Fuck off and stop fucking annoying me.' How calm is that?
-
Oh look! He stopped running round and took a drink from us. Mostly he just took stuff from the official table so Beardie and I had no idea what he was eating or how much. I brought most of the food back home me including the untouched fruit loaf that was sooo important that I stayed up on Thursday night to bake!


Beardie with his pasta and magic knife that has a fork, spoon, corkscrew, turkey baster and hair dryer all-in-one!!
-

Prize giving with nobody spewing or fainting in sight

Before, during and after the event many people told me I was a saint and that he couldn't do it without me. Damn right! This time I have been pushed to my absolute limit. I'm looking forward to many months of entertaining and partying at weekends since there are no training runs or big races to eat up my weekend. And if anyone even dares telling The Runner about some crazy new ultra event they've found, I will hunt them down and poke them in the eyes with my Brittany Birches!

Enjoy your winter training and cross country events. I'll see you all again next year!
Ali x

4 comments:

Silke said...

Great report. Sounds like PRT, pre-race-tension. I can sympathize with you. See you next year, enjoy the winter break!

Harvey said...

Blog Wars part II... and I thought I had been unappreciative! I might be in need of a new support crew for next years WHWR. Perhaps Ian could have Mrs p and I could have the Allybea Snackbar and first aid kit?!?!?!

...and nice to see us making it into the Allybea blog list of players, and not a bad photo either!

Take care and make WHW Runner buy you something expensive!!!!

Peter Duggan said...

1. Fruit loaf... I'll eat it!
2. Crazy new ultra event... now that reminds me, I must tell Ian about...

OK, Ally, you're a saint. A very funny saint! ;-)

Love
P

Lee Maclean said...

Allybea,
You are one funny lady, and your swearing is fantastic!!
I was in stiches laughing.
Keep up the good work.

Mrs Mac x