Sunday 13 July 2008

Crieff 10k

Ok, so the last post wasn't really the last post! I thought I'd share some thoughts on today's 10k where I was the Race Director.

I'm sitting here with a large glass of Chardonnay and a huge sigh of relief that everything (more or less) went to plan. We had 250 finishers and had a new course record to boot. But my goodness I'm so tired! I can't begin to imagine how The Godfather organises the WHW!

Like many events that have been going for a few years, the organisation of 'stuff' relies on those club stalwarts that have always manned the water station or put out the signs or baked the cakes or manned the car park. Without people like these many races could not be run. I am extremely grateful to them all!

First the funny stuff. As Race Director I get all the emails asking stooopid questions. Like -

How long will it take me to get to Crieff?
How hot are your showers?
How deep are your prize categories? (from an American!)
Where can I get lunch in Crieff?
Can you describe the course? (from a lady who ran it last year!)
Have I already entered the race?
What shoes would you recommend? (the most popular question)

As Race Director I didn't have a job on the day. But that meant I had to deal with every problem that arose (and play with radios!) Luckily there weren't too many things but there was a gala on nearby that was also using the field for parking. Unfortunately, they were going to be charging for car parking and someone(!) decided to charge our runners for parking. As soon as I realised what was happening I went to investigate. As usual there was no-one in charge and the guy taking the money gave me an 'I'm only doing what I'm told hen' answer. So if you were charged £1 to park, please accept our apologies. At least the money was going to a charitable cause.

We had our first serious injury where a lady runner fell and bumped her head. She knew her name but unfortunately not much else. I'm VERY grateful to The Fireman (who was our sweeper) for coming to her rescue. (Isn't that every woman's fantasy!!) Luckily I was able to get her and her partner back to the pavillion where she got medical advice. It's every Race Director's nightmare to have a casualty. I'll find out how she is tomorrow.

It's curry night tonight where some club members go out on the town. I'm really looking forward to not cooking tonight. Just got some paperwork to do and that's the race over for another year. If you were running in it, I hope you enjoyed it. If you weren't, why not and see you next year!

3 comments:

John Kynaston said...

Well done Allybea. I've already seen a couple of blogs saying what a great race it was and how well organised. Have a look at ..

http://chrisupson.blogspot.com/

http://odean-deano.blogspot.com/

I'll try and run next year!

John

Norman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norman said...

Thanks for a superbly well organised race. It really is a highlight in my running year. Hope to see you all next time. A brief report in my blog:
http://www.cosmonauts.blogspot.com/
And a more detailed one in my friend Ian's
http://www.freewebs.com/ian9657/blog.htm
PS When will the official photos be available --we got a great one taken with the Grouse :-)